Diocesan wedding anniversary Mass set for Oct. 21
CHARLOTTE — Couples who were married in 1962 or 1987 are celebrating milestone anniversaries this year. They are invited to attend the diocese's annual wedding anniversary Mass celebrated by Bishop Peter J. Jugis at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 21, at St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Charlotte.
The annual Mass recognizes couples who have been married 50 and 25 years. A reception will be held immediately following the Mass.
In November of 2009, the U.S. bishops released the pastoral letter "Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan," which expresses the meaning and their support of traditional marriage.
"We rejoice that so many couples are living in fidelity to their marital commitment," the bishops said. "We thank them for proclaiming in their daily lives the beauty, goodness, and truth of marriage. In countless ways, both ordinary and heroic, through good times and bad, they bear witness to the gift and blessing they have received from the hand of their Creator."
The bishops also reiterate that while marriage is a special blessing for Christians because of the grace of Christ, marriage is also a natural blessing and gift for everyone in all times and cultures. It is a source of blessing to the couple, to their families, and to society and includes the wondrous gift of co-creating human life.
For resources for married couples, go to www.foryourmarriage.org.
For more information about the upcoming wedding anniversary Mass, contact your parish office.
— SueAnn Howell, staff writer
FROM THE PASTORS
Read and listen to homilies posted regularly by pastors at parishes within the Diocese of Charlotte:
- Fr. Frank Cancro at Queen of the Apostles
- Fr. Patrick Earl at St. Peter in Charlotte
- Fr. John Eckert at St. John the Baptist in Tryon
- Fr. Timothy Reid at St. Ann in Charlotte
- Fr. Benjamin Roberts at Our Lady of Lourdes in Monroe
- Fr. Patrick Winslow at St. Thomas Aquinas in Charlotte
- Watch full Masses live and on demand, listen to homilies and reflections from Sacred Heart Church in Salisbury
- Listen to homilies from St. William Catholic Church in Murphy