Public meeting scheduled about proposed hotel near Basilica of St. Lawrence
ASHEVILLE —The McKibbon Hotel Group, Inc. will unveil design drawings for their controversial proposed development across the street from the Basilica of St. Lawrence, on Tuesday, August 7 at 5:30 p.m.
The meeting, at the U.S. Cellular Center Banquet Room, 2nd floor, located at 87 Haywood Street, Asheville, is open to the public, and doors will open at 5 p.m. for seating and preview of site renderings.
"Through meetings with the Basilica, the Asheville Design Center and City representatives, we are prepared to develop a property that will enhance the neighborhood and complement the Basilica, which is such an important historic landmark for our city," Chairman of McKibbon Hotel Group John McKibbon said in a release.
McKibbon will lead the 30-minute presentation, which includes precautions that will be taken to protect surrounding buildings during construction, and will ask for public comment at the meeting's conclusion.
The Diocese of Charlotte has offered more than $2 million to buy the city-owned Haywood Street property where the McKibbon Group has proposed this hotel. The city of Asheville has signaled intent to sell the .80-acres to the McKibbon Group.
The Asheville City Council is scheduled to get an update on the property Aug. 14.
Read more about the issue here.
— Catholic News Herald
FROM THE PASTORS
Read and listen to homilies posted regularly by pastors at parishes within the Diocese of Charlotte:
- Fr. Frank Cancro at Queen of the Apostles
- Fr. Patrick Earl at St. Peter in Charlotte
- Fr. John Eckert at St. John the Baptist in Tryon
- Fr. Timothy Reid at St. Ann in Charlotte
- Fr. Benjamin Roberts at Our Lady of Lourdes in Monroe
- Fr. Patrick Winslow at St. Thomas Aquinas in Charlotte
- Watch full Masses live and on demand, listen to homilies and reflections from Sacred Heart Church in Salisbury
- Listen to homilies from St. William Catholic Church in Murphy